Thursday, September 26, 2013

Back to Malifaux

I've got a nostalgic relationship with Tabletop Games: as much as I talk, write, and think about video games, I got my start with Games Workshop. I played them all; Warhammer Fantasy, 40k, Mordhiem, and Blood Bowl, but what really kept me involved in the miniature Wargaming scene was the painting. Even after I got into gaming, MMO's and consoles, there's no substitution for a afternoon painting.

Yet, four years going to university in a different country will stifle your ability to 1) transport models across borders, 2) Explain why you have to have rare-earth magnets, ex-acto blades and acetone to a border patrol agent and 3) lug a separate suitcase full of paints and green stuff. Ultimately, underwear was deemed more important than Ultramarines.


So, computer gaming took over as my major, nerdy hobby, and I started writing about games, and gaining traction as a video game journalist. I went to cons as press, talked with devs, and acquired many a nerdy business card. Yet now, as I've settled down (at least for now), and don't intend to move to a foreign country anytime soon, mini's have returned to my life....

All thanks to Malifaux.

Malifaux, produced by Wyrd Miniatures, is a Skirmish Game set in a, *clears throat*, "gothic, steampunk, Victorian horror [world] with a dose of the wild west to inject fun and depth into the magical lawlessness...rife with monsters, necropunks, man-machine hybrids, gunslingers, and power-hungry politicos." Yes, this game actually exists, and yes, it is as awesome as it sounds.
Also; Ghost Rider Brought his Friends to the Guild in 2ed.

While I had gotten a few pieces from the time of Malifaux's release and the pre-release of the first expansion, Rising Powers, I'd never played that many games, and had forgotten all the rules after over a year of beig absent from Miniature Wargamming in ANY form. So, the near-approaching release of the Second Edition of the game is a perfect opportunity for me to dust of my crew, give them a fresh coat of paint, and shuffle my fate deck. There's a local gaming shop down the street from me, and they run a Monday Night Maliaux League, so I can be sure to find players.
My Master of Choice: Som'er Teeth Jones, the Hillbilly Gremlin with a BoomStick


I'll be posting pictures of my crew, battlereports, and more about Malifaux at this blog....

...I'm Back, Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment