Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Bumpy Start to Bioshock

I made the statement on Twitter a while back that I would be playing a bunch of Bioshock after getting back from PAXPrime, proverbially "Returning to Rapture".


Rapture, for those who haven't experienced the game,  is the Objectivist-Paradise/Dystopia the game is set in, and the main point I'd like to try and defend is that it isn't the fact that Rapture was run as an Objectivist city that caused it to fall (quite horrifically and wonderfully), but rather that it started as an Objectivist city and then abandoned the principles that made it a boom-town. I'll be writing about this further later on.



So, last night I get all ready to start streaming, or as a back-up just record with FRAPS, and nothing works. The resolution is off, alt+tab-ing out of the game sets into to an unchanging windowed mode, and FRAPS doesn't even pick the game up. I'm not alone in this issue, at least, as myriad internet help sites have post asking why Bioshock refuses to cooperate. I've got a few other things to try, so we'll see if I've got any success tonight.



Bioshock, would you kindly let me share you with the world?

So, while I was delayed in my actual main task, today I did take the first step in another Bioshock-related project. While at PAXPrime, I managed to pick up 2 posters from the 2K booth of the 1959 Rapture New Years Eve Ball. I picked up the frames for these two poster today, and while one will remain pristine and pretty, I've got violent and combustive plans for the other. If you know the background of that fateful night in Rapture, you might be able to guess where I am going...




No comments:

Post a Comment